Monday, December 22, 2008

Christmas 2008

Dear Friends,

 

Merry Christmas everyone!    2008 seems to have flown by.  So much happened, and yet so many things remain the same.

 

NKB and BKB are still very active in sports – basketball right now seems to be running our household.  Throughout the year, we also spend a lot of time on the soccer field (BKB), the football field (NKB), the golf course (everyone!), and running.  In last year’s update, I mentioned that NKB was almost as tall as DB… fast forward 12 months and about 2 inches and meet our towering giant.  DB still has the advantage in muscle and weight, but I don’t anticipate that will last either.  NKB is 16, a sophomore, and will soon be driving.  Our sweet BKB, 12 and in 7th grade, is developing her musical talents in addition to sports.  She’s in a few different vocal and musical groups, and in March will participate in a youth musical.

 

DB is still experiencing all the joy and merriment in the financial world with [a very large company], and I continue my work as a technology recruiter.  We had fun together this summer finishing off our basement.  And by “we” I mean DB+KKB+the nice men who came to our house and installed sheetrock.  And by “fun” I mean at least we are still on speaking terms, DB and I (just joking!).  In all seriousness, it was a great family project and the kids helped out too with a lot of the painting and other finish work.

 

In April, my dad went to Heaven, after several years of enduring the after-effects of a stroke.  His lifetime of service and love, gentleness and joy are a lasting legacy. I was so touched to hear from so many different people, sharing stories of how Dad touched their lives.  He was a great mentor and friend, and a lot of folks strove to live by his example, embrace his strong faith, and receive his love.  The world is a better place because of Big Jim.  

 

I’ll leave you with a call to action that our family shares together often.  I don’t know the author, but would give credit if I could.  Our Christmas wish for you is that you read these words, and hopefully they will touch your heart.   If they do, the world will be a better place:

 

"Let us now go forth into the world in peace; to be of good courage; to hold fast to that which is good; to render to no one evil for evil; to strengthen the fainthearted; to support the weak; to help the afflicted; to rejoice in the power of the Holy Spirit."

 

Peace,

 

The family who sits Round the Oak Table


3 comments:

ann said...

and a blessed new year to you too, my cyber-friend!

BIBI said...

I am so sorry to hear about your dad. I'm quite sure he is looking down on you and smiling.
Have a Happy New Years Kikibibi.

2009 is I believe a force to be reckoned with.

Tabitha (From Single to Married) said...

wow - it sounds like you have had a busy year! And I'm so sorry to hear about your father - I can't imagine how tough that must have been. I hope your holiday was lovely!